Monday 19 November 2012

Professional project - Tim Smith

TIM SMITH - Professional project (100257578)

October - December 2012


Professional project - PART ONE


The first (professional) project completed was for the husband of a work colleague of mine ...... called  Mr Weston (aka, Graham)

Graham has a 'working dog' (gun dog) called SAM. Sam is a black Labrador, and is almost 10 years of age.
Graham had seen a picture on the front cover of a shooting magazine (Shooting and Conservation - November / December 2011). The picture was of a black Labrador on a black background.

I have been tasked with trying re 'recreate' this image for him.

Sam .... by Tim


1st shoot - 5/10/12



Equipment

Nikon D800 camera, 70 -200mm lens. (no flash) - normal indoor domestic lights and Maglite torch. A1 size piece of black card.

The start - 1st meeting with client

This began with a long discussion with Graham about what he wanted .... how and where he would prefer the shoot to take place and over (for) how long. Also, when he would like the finished images / pics.

Graham handed to me an example of what he wanted in the final image  ....  which was a head and shoulder image of a black Labrador against a black back ground revealed on the front cover of  a ' Shooting and Conservation' magazine.

In my naivety I began this shoot, trying to leave the dog in its comfortable surroundings (its basket / bed) and in the corner of the kitchen where there was little or NO natural light ..... problems were immediately encountered, in that there was insufficient light. Even raising the ISO to almost the highest, still did not do the trick. Also it was very difficult to focus on the dog's face.... again, due to the lack of available light.






SO, NOT OFF TO A GOOD START

Reflection

This was an ill thought out session / attempt to capture an image.

  • perhaps I should have discussed what the client wanted (over the phone ?) prior to arriving at his house, or at the first meeting NOT taken any pics but simply discussed the clients                       wishes / instructions ??
  • No picture is ever going to be successful without LIGHT !!
  • I should have put the dog in the right place for the image to be taken .... not left it in the corner of a dark room !!
  • More thought should have gone into the back ground.(perhaps some black material ??)
  • Light source, light source .... light source !!
  • To recap ....... note to self. DO NOT RUSH INTO THINGS !

2nd shoot - 11/10/12


As a result of a disappointing 1st 'shoot', I went to the second meeting with the client 'armed' with more appropriate equipment. I took with me a large piece of black material to use as a back drop and a 'light pad kit' to illuminate the dog's face / head.

I discussed with Graham a better 'studio' type environment within his house that would allow me and the dog more space to work together.

I suggested we cleared (moved) the table and chairs from the (quite large) kitchen. I also used the existing  curtain rail between the kitchen and conservatory to hang my black material over.

I had already established a plentiful supply of plugs nearby for the light pad system.

I now had plenty of space to work and more distance between me and the subject to allow better focusing with the 70 - 200 lens (cannot focus at close range)

I positioned the dog about 4 - 5 feet from me and the dog was 4 - 5 feet from the back drop.

I used 1 small light pad that was positioned in front of the subject and to 'one-side' and above.

This 'set up' was NOT ideal but the client wanted the 'shoot' to be done at his house.

I completely accept that I was still TOO CLOSE to the subject ... but this was the only available space and definitely better than the first attempt / shoot.











3rd shoot - 18/10/12


After the second shoot I re-contacted the client an informed him I had some images that were much better than the first shoot. The images were e-mailed to the client (10 - 12 images)

SEE BELOW








In an attempt to improve the images obtained I negotiated with the client to go along to his house to have another shoot using the 'light pad' but this time using a larger (light pad) light source.

The same location (room) back drop etc was used - just more light on the subject.



Studio shoot - 12/11/12









Professional project - PART TWO

I received an invitation from Donington Racetrack, to go to one of their 'test days' to take pictures.
This happened on Thursday 15th November.

The meeting was planned and overseen by the Noise Control Officer (aka Fliss) and the Race Controller, Steve.

After the obligatory H & S briefing, I was let loose ............ but due to the fog, there was no immediate racing / testing going on.

No problem, this gave me the opportunity to visit all the garages and introduce myself to all the Racing Teams. This early introduction (by me) later proved crucial / vital re the pictures I was to take later.

Unfortunately my access wasn't to ALL AREAS (sadly) as I didn't have the necessary PUBLIC LIABILITY INSURANCE, but this is now on my list of things to do.

Once purchased I can have 'unrestricted access' to all (safe) areas .... i.e. I could wander around the track (behind the barriers)

Om this occasion I was confined to the 'pit area' but this did not cause a problem as there was much to do.



waiting for the mist to clear 


















No comments:

Post a Comment